Jefferson Milford Daniel
was born Jan. 15, 1863, near Cale Ark. He was the third of 12 children born to Jefferson Colly Daniel and his wife, Susan (Strickland) Daniel. Jefferson Colly Daniel was born March 31, 1635, in Georgia and moved with his parents to Ark. about 1655, He was married to Susan Strickland June 13, 1858. She was born March 16, 1843, in Ala. and moved to Nevada County, Ark. with her parents in the early 1850s. Colly and Susan Daniel spent 51 years of their married life in Nevada County, moving to Brown County, Tex. in 1889. There Colly died in 1920 and Susan in 1926.
Milford Daniel, the subject of this sketch, was married to Catherine Munn, on Dec. 19, 1883. She was the daughter of Neill Munn and Rebecca Hamrick Munn, Neill Munn was born Dec. 4, 1821, and moved from De Soto County, Miss. with his first wife and their children on Dec. 26, 1846, arriving in Hempstead County (now Nevada County) Ark, on Jan. 25, 1847. After the death of his first wife, he was married to Rebecca Hamrick on April 5, 1860. Catherine Munn Daniel was born to this union Oct. 2, 1667.
Milford and Catherine Daniel spent their entire lives in Nevada County with the exception of one or two years spent in Brown Co. Tex. The family lived for several years near Gale, for a few years in Prescott end for several years at Laneburg, Milford was a carpenter by trade, and built (or helped to build) many of the early homes in Nevada County. He passed away at Laneburg on July 26, 1905. His wife, Catherine, survived him by only one- and one-half years, passing away at the family home in Laneburg on Jan. 8, 1907.
Children born to Milford and Catherine Daniel are:
1. Pearl, born Jan. 12, 1886, near Cele, Ark. Died May 12, 1923, buried in family lot at Laneburg. Married Harry F. Helton on Dec. 2, 1916 and had: Catherine b. Oct 15, 1917; Julia b. Oct 15, 1919; Harriet Ruth, b. Aug. 31, 1921.
2. Hugh, born Sept. 17, 1888, married Nora Caldicott in 1907, aa five children: Greer, b. in June 1908; Hazel born in March 1911; Faye born Nov. 1913; B.H. Jr. born Aug. 1921; Phena, born Nov. 1928.
3. Newton Neill, born Sept 17, 1893; married Evie Gateley, Apr. and had: Milford b. Jan 8, 1915; James born Feb. 4, 1918; Rebecca, born May 29, 1920; Gateley b. Aug. 9, 1924; Ide Catherine, b, July 29, 1927; Bernice b. April 4, 1950.
4. Munn, born Oct 2, 1895; married Ira Jobe Jan. 1920 end had: Louise, Jobe, Robert, Billy Dean, Emogene and Martha Myrl.
5. Jewel, b. Sept 19, 1899; married Horace Hale, Oct 19, 1915 and had; William Davie b. April 15, 1918; Helen b. May 9, 1923; Betty Jo, born Sept 7, 1927; Jacqueline Sue, b. July 25, 1929.
6. Ruby b. jug. 9, 1902; married John N. Hubbard June 6, 1924 ad: Monroe Irl, b. Feb. 1, 1925; Edward Rae b. bot. 6, 1931.
7. Opal, born Aug. 23, 1905. Unmarried.
Data furnished by Ruby Daniel Hubbard.
More InformationHere is a web page with more information:
https://www.depotmuseum.org/images/Nevada_County_Personal_Histories.pdf (click link to open in a new window).