James Thomas Epperson
was born June 21, 1853, in what is now Nevada County, Ark. It was then a part of Ouachita County. His parents were Leander Epperson (b. Feb. 8, 1827, 4. 1894) and Nancy Epperson (d. Feb. 17, 1902), buried Gulley Cemetery near Bluff City, ark.) Leander Epperson and his brother, William, came from Tennessee to Ouachita County, Ark. about 1859. They were Cumberland Presbyterians. Known children of Leander and Nancy Epperson, other than the subject of this sketch, were Willian, Matthew, Robert, Eugene, Finis, Cassandra.
The brothers, Thomas James and Eugene Epperson, were planters near what is now Bluff City. They also operated a smell mercantile business, and Eugene Epperson was Postmaster of the Office known as “Foss”.
On Sept. 3, 1878, Thomas James Epperson was married by the Rev. Barcus to Verelda Elmira Cross (b. Jan 27, 1855). She was the daughter of Henry Cross and his wife, Martha Ann (Sheffield) Cross who came early from Alabama to Arkansas. Henry Cross was born Oct. 16) 1819 and died 1865. He was a slave owner, a Confederate soldier and died in prison. Martha Ann (Sheffield) Cross was born Aug. 11, 1822 and died Nov. 19, 1909.
In the Fall of 1911, Thomas J. Epperson moved his family to Clarksville Arkansas where he placed his children in Arkansas Cumberland College. He remained there until Dec. 1913 when he moved back to his home in Nevada County. He had the misfortune of having his home burned twice within the space of £ years. He carried no insurance. In 1924, he moved to Chidister, Ouachita County, where he was connected with the Chidister Hdwe Co. For many years, he was an Elder of the Presbyterian Church «- first at Harmony near his home in Nevada County, and later in Chidister. He died Sept. 20, 1936. His wife had preceded him in death, Aug. 10, 1930, Both were buried at Chidister.
Children of Thomas James end Verelda Elmira (Cross) Epperson, all born in Nevada County, were:
(1) Nora Helen b. July 8, 1974.4 Mar. 20, 1906; married Jim Henry Feb. 22, 1698.
(2) Cora Hattie b. June 21, 1677. Married Reece Marsh Jan. 15, 1901.
(3) Leonard Edger, bs Apr. 7, 1879, mar, Allie Wade, May 15, 1927,
(4) Bynum Carl b, Sept 22, 1880. mar. Willella Sweeney, Feb. 25, 1902.
(5) Cross E. b. Aug. 7, 1885. mar. Lillie Sweatman Nov. 5, 1905.
(6) Gorrie Blanch, b. May 9, 1887. mar. Edgar Long, July 3, 1910.
(7) Lela Pearl b. May 5, 1889, d. Feb. 18, 1929. mar. Dan w. Stott, April 1, 1917.
(8) Sula Lee, b. June 25, 1892. mar. John A. Dewoody, Oct. 14, 1916.
(9) Thomas Watson, b. Oct 7, 1894, mar Nancy Smythe, June 14, 1930.
(10) Mattie Matilda, b. Nov. 4, 1896. Unmarried.
At the time this sketch is written, there are 32 grandchildren, 5 great grandchildren, 1 great, great grandchild.
Data given me, Winnie H. Hamilton, May 1940, by Sula (Epperson) Dewoody, daughter of the Subject.
More InformationHere is a web page with more information:
https://www.depotmuseum.org/images/Nevada_County_Personal_Histories.pdf (click link to open in a new window).