Joseph Calvin Brown M.D.
was born April 10, 18642 in Talladega County, Alabama. He died at his home near Prescott, Arkansas, March 15, 1900. Buried in DeAnne Cemetery. He came to Arkansas with his parents, Duncan Brown and his wife, Sally, sometime before the Civil War, settling at Three Creeks in Union County. The family had started to Texas in fine style with their slaves, and women in carriages. At Three Creeks they became water-bound and had to remain for a while. They found the land was rich, and there was plenty of game, so they decided to settle there permanently. In the same wagon train were the Stanleys of Chambers County, Alabama who had with them their five orphan grandchildren, the Fargason children.
Joseph Calvin Brown had his elementary schooling in his home county and took his M.D. degree at Tulane University, New Orleans. Soon afterward he married Lou Jane Fargason (b. July 15, 1845. Died in Prescott Arkansas Sept. 16, 1912). Her sisters and brothers were: (1) Sue who married Artemus Brom; (2) John T. Fargason who was an influential man of Memphis, Tenn. (3) Ann who married Joshua Moore of Prescott, Ark. (4) Dave Fargason who also lived in Memphis and married a Miss Pillow. (Joh T. Fargason was President of the Bank of Commerce and Trust Co. of Memphis, Tenn.)
After his marriage to Lou Jane Fargason, Joseph Calvin Brown moved to Texas where he practiced medicine for several years. His health became impaired, and he returned to Arkansas and settled on a small farm about 1 mile South East of Prescott, Nevada County which John T. Fargason of Memphis had deeded to his sister, Lou Jane Brown. At this farm home the couple lived for many years and reared their family of nine children. They were:
(1) Walter Artemus, b. Nov. 23, 1869. Married Mollie Fielding and had: Walter, Neil, Lester, Donald, Louise, Mary, Sula.
(2) Sula M. b. May 21, 1871. Married John W. Smith and died Nov. 1941 without issue.
(3) Sallie A. b. April 7, 1873. Married Ross Moores.
(4) Daniel F. b. March 6, 1875. Died Sept 1877
(5) Mary Lou b. Feb. 12, 1877. Married Sam B, Dickey and had, Albert and Duncan.
(6) John Fargason, b. May 10, 1880. Married Willie Ross of Okolona Clark County, Arkansas.
(7) Duncan B., b. dan 28, 1882. Married (1) Carrie Kauffman (on June 10, 1913) of Arkadelphia, Clark County, Arkansas and had, Agnes Lou and Duncan B. Jr. She died April 25, 1917. He married Mrs. Fannie (Haynie) Nichols of Prescott, Ark., April 14, 1929.
(8) Blanche, b. April 3, 1884, Married Dee Scott and had: Eloise, Joe D., Duncan Brown, Mary, Helen, Blanche, Carolyn.
(9) Joe Stanley, b. Feb. 18, 1887. Married Louise and had, Joe Stanley Jr., and John Fargason.
Dr. Joseph Calvin Brown was an Elder of the Presbyterian church U.S. at Prescott, Arkansas.
From data furnished by Duncan B. Brown, son of the Subject.
More InformationHere is a web page with more information:
https://www.depotmuseum.org/images/Nevada_County_Personal_Histories.pdf (click link to open in a new window).