Chesley Marion Buchanan

The subject of this sketch was born near Pulaski, Giles County, Tennessee, March 15, 1843, and died June 30, 1932, aged 89 years, three months and 15 days. In October 1858, with his parents he left Tennessee, arriving at Okolona, Clark County, Arkansas on Christmas Eve of the same year. When the war between the states began, Mr. Buchanan returned to his home county in Tennessee and joined the Confederate forces with his boyhood friends before the conscript act was passed, becoming a soldier in Company "A" Third Tennessee Regiment under the command of Capt. John 6, Brown, who was later Governor of Tennessee. He continued with that command until he was wounded at the battle of Fort Donaldson of Feb. 16, 1862. When he had recovered sufficiently from his wounds to travel, he returned to his home in Arkansas and in the fall of 1662 assisted in the organization of Company "H" with John Flint as Captain, T.M. East, First Lieutenant, and Mr. Buchanan as second Lieutenant. This company was in the 33rd Arkansas Regiment commanded by General H.L. Grinstead of Camden, Arkansas, He served with this regiment until it was disbanded at Marshall, Texas by special orders of General T. J. Churchill. At the battle of Jenkin's Ferry, Capt. Flint was captured by the Federals and Mr. Buchanan was in command of his company during the remainder of hostilities.

At the close of the war, Mr. Buchanan returned to his home at Okolona, and on Oct. 9th, 1865 was married to Miss Cora Donnell, who preceded him in death in 1916. To this union were born four sons and three daughters:

William K.; Lela; Vernon; Katie; Albert S.; Era; Gilbert A.

All of Mr. Buchanan's children survived him, and at the time of his death, there were 25 grandchildren and 20 great grandchildren.

For several years following the Civil War, Mr. Buchanan taught school, later engaging in farming. In November 1873, a few months after the building of the Cairo & Fulton Railroad through this county, Mr. Buchanan and his family moved to Nevada County, locating on a farm near what is now the City of Prescott. During his last years, Mr. Buchanan resided with his son, Dr. G.A. Buchanan, at whose home he passed to his reward.

Data furnished by his granddaughter, Clara Buchanan Johnson.

More Information

Here is a web page with more information: (click link to open in a new window).